Short Term Independent Study
Parents/Guardians may make a signed written request for a STIS agreement for the student when the student will be absent from school due to an emergency, illness, family vacation, or other special circumstances. Ample notification (seven to ten days) is required. STIS agreements are available for a student who will miss two or more days with a maximum of ten days per school year. This agreement allows the student to maintain academic progress without falling behind during the absence.
Absences for unexcused reasons beyond the approved timeframe will be considered truant and will be treated as such. A student with an IEP can participate in the STIS program with an IEP amendment stating such and signed by parent/guardian.
All requests for a STIS agreement must be submitted to the Attendance Office (Ms. Frankie) and approved by a KPSVA Administrator or designee.
The following applies to STIS agreements:
· STIS agreements must be completed in advance.
· Work assigned must be equal to classroom instructions.
· Due date for assignments cannot extend beyond the day the student returns to the classroom.
· After the due date, makeup work or completion of assignment(s) will not be accepted for attendance purposes.
· Failure to complete the entire work packet upon return could result in the student being identified as truant.